The Business Faculty
Business opportunities are like buses, there’s always another one coming. – Richard Branson
Ashley Catlin: Assistant Head teacher and teacher of Business and ICT
Samuel Dwamena: Teacher of Business and ICT
Key Stage 4
You will cover a range of topics in relation to both small businesses and large businesses including starting a small business or the different type of business organisations, finance, marketing, people and operational management. These topics will be covered in lessons in preparation for the two examinations and a controlled assessment. You will also develop a range of skills including presentation, communication, problem solving and leadership.
You will be studying 3 units: A291 – Marketing and Enterprise A292 – Business and People A293 – Production, finance and the external business environment
A291 – Marketing and Enterprise assessed through a controlled assessment = 25% of the course A292 – Business and People assessed through a written examination (1 hour) = 25% of the course A293 – Production, finance and the external business environment – written examination (1h30min) = 50% of the course
1. Investigating How Businesses Work *Unit code 5AB01
• Internally assessed
•Availability: June series
2. Financial Records *Unit code 5AB02
- •Externally assessed
- •Availability: June series
Overview of content for Investigating How Businesses Work Unit
The unit contains three topics:
- •What is a business and what do businesses do?
- •How are businesses organised?
- •Why are stakeholders so important?
Overview of assessment
- • This unit is internally assessed under controlled conditions.
- •Students are required to complete an Edexcel-set task with a total of 100 marks.
- •Students select two businesses – one local and one national/international – to research.
They then answer a number of set questions based on the content of the unit in relation to
these selected businesses, using their research materials, under controlled conditions of a set
- •Research/investigation – approximately eight weeks of curriculum time (a maximum of 24
- • Final write up – approximately four weeks of curriculum time (a maximum of 12 hours).
- • The task is internally marked by teachers and moderated by Edexcel.
Edexcel GCSE in Applied Business Specification – Issue 3 © Edexcel Limited 2010
Overview of content for Financial Records Unit
Overview of content
The unit contains four topics:
- • Investigating the flow of financial documents used in business trading
- • Investigating business payment methods and costs
- • Investigating the nature of financial statements in business
- • Investigating the importance of financial statements to business
Overview of assessment
- •A one-hour untiered examination marked out of 60 and suitable for all levels of students.
- •Six structured questions, comprising a mixture of multiple-choice, short- and extended answers[/one_half_last]
Key Stage 5
Year 12 AS Business – Edexcel
The Pearson Edexcel Level 3 GCE Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Business is
structured into two themes and consists of two externally examined papers.
Students are introduced to business through building knowledge of core business
concepts and applying them to business contexts to develop a broad understanding
of how businesses work.
Students are encouraged to use an enquiring, critical and thoughtful approach to
the study of business, to understand that business behaviour can be studied from a
range of perspectives and to challenge assumptions.
What you will study
How you will be assessed
The Extended Certificate is for learners who are interested in learning about the business sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in business-related subjects. It is designed to be taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A Levels
What you will study and how you will be assessed
Students are regularly taken on trips to enhance the learning of this subject. These include:
- Warner Brothers Studios
- Harry Potter World
- Cadbury’s World – Birmingham
- Alton Towers
- Clothes Show
- Colchester Zoo
- Retail research trips
Students also have the opportunity to take part in Business Studies competitions. Our school is the current holders of the North Hertfordshire Business Enterprise Challenge cup organised and sponsored by North Herts College and Peter Jones (from Dragon’s Den)
Gifted and Talented
In BTEC Business all students are encouraged to attempt the higher grade tasks.