Graphic Communication

A Level

BESIC COURSE DETAILS

Art and design is about using your creative and analytical skills to explore the world around you, working across a range of media to start developing your practical expertise. Whether you want to pursue a career in the creative industries or complement your other subjects, Graphic Communication will develop your understanding of the creative process and teach you to communicate visually. Areas of study include everything from interactive media, advertising and design for film and television.
You will be introduced to a variety of experiences that explore a range of media, processes and techniques. You will be made aware of both traditional and new media. You will explore the use of drawing for different purposes, using a variety of methods and media on a variety of scales. You will use sketchbooks/workbooks/journals to underpin your work where appropriate and explore relevant images and resources relating to a range of art, craft and design, from the past and from recent times, including European and non-European examples. This will be integral to the investigating and making processes. Your responses to these examples will be shown through practical and critical activities that demonstrate your understanding of different styles, genres and traditions. You will be aware of the importance of process as well as product.

WHAT WILL I STUDY?

This course offers the opportunity to examine and investigate a range of topics from the various approaches in Graphic Communication including:

  • Interactive media (including web, app and game design)
  • Advertising
  • Packaging design
  • Design for print
  • Multimedia
  • Communication graphics
  • Branding
  • Illustration
  • printmaking (relief, intaglio)
  • Motion graphics
  • Photography
  • Design for film and television

OVERARCHING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDIING

  • understanding of meaning, function, style, scale, colour and content in relation to the chosen area(s) of Graphic Communication
  • awareness of intended audience or purpose for their chosen area(s) of Graphic Communication
  • ability to respond to an issue, concept or idea, working to a brief or answering a need in the chosen area(s) of Graphic Communication
  • appreciation of the relationship of form and function and, where applicable, the constraints of working to a brief
  • appreciation of the appropriate use of typography (which could include hand lettering and calligraphy)
  • understanding of a variety of materials and genres appropriate to their chosen area(s) of Graphic Communication.
  • continuity and change in different styles, genres and traditions relevant to Graphic Communication
  • a working vocabulary and specialist terminology that is relevant to their chosen area(s) of Graphic Communication.
  • Show how ideas, feelings and meanings can be conveyed and interpreted in images and artefacts created in their chosen area(s) of Graphic Communication.
  • appreciation of relevant materials, processes, technologies and resources
  • historical and contemporary developments and different styles and genres

WHERE WILL A LEVEL GRAPHIC COMMUNICATION TAKE YOU? 

As well as giving you the chance to creatively engage with the world around you and develop technical skills, the study of art and design equips you with transferable skills that will support you in both further study and a range of careers that require:

  • analytical thinking
  • creative problem solving
  • working independently
  • research methods
  • understanding how context shapes meaning
  • how to communicate effectively

POSSIBLE DEGREE OPTIONS 

A-level Graphic Communication can prepare you for a range of degree courses including:

  • Graphic Design
  • 2D and 3D animation
  • fashion and textile design
  • film and media studies
  • game design
  • illustration
  • product design
  • photography
  • set design

HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?

At A-level, for component 1 you will develop work for a personal investigation into an idea, issue, concept or theme supported by written material. This will count for 60% of your total A-level marks. In component 2 you will produce personal work in response to one of eight exciting starting points which will count for the remaining 40% of your total A-level marks.