Fearnhill School’s origins lie in Letchworth Grammar School, which moved to the site in 1976 after the former site closed in July of that year. The building of the former grammar school is on Broadway in Letchworth Garden City town centre. After the School became a comprehensive it continued to be very successful in the town, and includes some illustrious former students:
- Dave Kitson, Premier League footballer
- Victoria Pendleton, Olympic and world champion track cyclist
- Simon West, film director
- Claire Rushbrook, TV actress
- Nicky Hunt, double Commonwealth gold medallist for archery 2010
- Ruth Goodman, social historian and TV personality
Part of the school is built on the site of an iron age hillfort, Wilbury Hill and funding has recently been allocated to upgrade the historic area for visitors. The setting of the school with its superb views across the Chilterns makes it clear why the site would have been a natural choice for our ancestors.