Fearnhill school was the last secondary school built for Hertfordshire County Council and occupies excellent buildings on a splendid hilltop site.
It has good public transport links with the surrounding towns and villages as well as within Letchworth Garden City itself.
The buildings are designed to integrate the academic and pastoral aspects of school life and to place together subject areas that have interests in common. This has led to the development of a faculty structure that facilitates curriculum development.
The accommodation comprises:
- Four faculty areas for English, humanities, languages and vocational education each with teaching rooms leading off.
- A specialist centre housing the mathematics and ICT faculties which is situated at the rear of the present school buildings
- The school hall is ideal for music and/or drama productions. Next to this is a drama studio and music suite. The music suite has two large teaching rooms, six music practice rooms and five small group rooms for class teaching
- The art, design and technology faculty which has three home economics rooms; art room; ceramics room; upper school studio; dark room; design office; three workshops and a CAD/CAM room recently re-furbished to a high standard, and storage space.
- The science faculty has nine full-size teaching laboratories and two smaller upper school laboratories. It also has a large greenhouse and special environmental science area.
- The learning resource centre includes the school library, careers library, ICT facilities, and a computer room. Next to this is the upper school study area and the upper school coffee bar.
- A sports centre with a sports hall, gymnasium and changing rooms together with extensive playing fields and tennis courts.